Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Family and Friends

When I look at my life, I don’t think I could ever stop making a list of the things I could be thankful for; my life itself, a good home to live in, a reliable car, and a college to attend in the future. But this year, more than anything else, I’m thankful for my friends and family. Without them, I don’t think I could have retained any trace of my sanity this year.

Summer vacation brought me to the brink of a very deep abyss. My mom was in and out of the hospital several times, and the doctors just couldn’t seem to figure out what was wrong with her. Both my dogs acquired an unspecified disease and died two weeks apart. I was trying to balance a full time job, a night class at the community college, and getting together the necessary paperwork to apply for early decision at the college of my dreams. My life had become a cycle of waking up, running myself into the ground, coming home, crashing in my bed, and praying to God that something else didn’t go wrong. And I was pretty sure that he had stopped listening.

I was in over my head. I knew I was in trouble, but I wasn’t able to bail myself out. But luckily I wasn’t entirely alone. My family was going through the struggle with me, taking the blows that came to our household as best we could. That simple companionship helped to at least quell the feelings of isolation that were brewing inside me. My greatest fear in life has always been being left entirely alone, without anyone to turn to. My family helped me to dodge that bullet.

My small circle of friends really was my saving grace. Over three months, I had almost forgotten how to laugh, but they managed to keep me going. I lived for a chance to escape my own life and spend a few precious hours with my friends, because in those brief moments I was able to be me again. For those brief spans of time, I could forget everything that was going on and simply laugh. And it was that laughter, that simple release, which really kept my mind going. And I really owe my friends the world for it.

Without my family and friends, I wouldn’t have gotten through the summer in one piece. They showed me the power and strength of love and caring, and how much it can really help another person. I really couldn’t thank these people enough for all they’ve done for me, and I only hope to be able to give back just as much as they’ve given to me.

1 comment:

Kabunky! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.